Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Knowing when our kids are ready...

My son and I have been struggling with sleep lately. He was a great sleeper until about 4 months old. He is now 8 months old and we have struggled with co-sleeping (he sleeps better, I sleep worse...currently his crib is pushed up against my side of the bed), nap schedules, and just staying asleep at night (he averages 3 hour stretches as of this writing...but has been known to sleep anywhere from 1-7 hours at a time).

Advice has been thrown at me from every direction. Let him cry it out. He needs to be in his own room. Just let him sleep with you. Don't let him nurse. Schedule his naps and feedings. And lots of other words of "wisdom."

This has all been very frustrating to me. The other day I read something that was perfect for me. I have included the link to the article. It written by a mom on the blog for Attachment Parenting International. She is talking about her 3 year old being developmentally ready for certain milestones and the need for her, as a parent, to be patient and let him grow at his own pace.  It reminded me that I, too, need to be patient and let my son reach the milestone of sleeping through the night when he is ready. That I need to be empathetic, understanding and loving.

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

No comments:

Post a Comment